The 2017 Eat Drink Design Awards shortlist has been unveiled, with the nominees some of Australia and New Zealand’s most coveted restaurants, bars, cafes, nightclubs and temporary spaces that have opened to the public in the past 18 months.
The awards support and celebrate innovation and excellence in the design of hospitality premises of all scales and types, and are Australia and New Zealand’s only hospitality design awards program.
“From coffee kiosks and twelve-seat restaurants to takeaway shops and food courts, this year’s Eat Drink Design Awards shortlist reveals the exceptional quality and variety of design in Australia and New Zealand’s hospitality scene,” says jury chairperson Cassie Hansen.
The winners will be announced Tuesday 14 November at the official awards ceremony held at The Arts Centre in Melbourne, and subsequently published online, Wednesday 15 November.
The winners from each award category will receive a cash prize of $1,500. The awards are given for Best Bar Design, Best Restaurant Design, Best Café Design, Best Installation Design, Best Retail Design and Best Identity Design.
The 2017 Eat Drink Design Awards jury comprises prominent industry leaders across hospitality and design: Ingrid Richards (Co-founder, Richards & Spence Architects), Nat Cheshire (Director, Cheshire Architects), Vanessa Crichton (General Manager, Rockpool Bar & Grill), Ross Lusted (Chef and Owner, The Bridge Room) and Cassie Hansen (Editor, Artichoke magazine).
The list of nominated bars is below, but click here to visit the Eat Drink Design Awards website and to view all the shortlisted venues in each category.
2017 Eat Drink Design Awards – Shortlist for Best Bar Design category
- Brick Lane (AZBcreative)
- Mini Bar (Foolscap Studio)
- Zephyr, Hyatt Regency Sydney (Bates Smart)
- Goodbar (AZBcreative)
- Jackalope – Flaggerdoot (Carr in collaboration with Fabio Ongarato Design)
- Endeavour Tap Rooms (Welsh + Major Architects)
- Charlie Parker’s (ACME&Co.)
- The George on Collins (Hecker Guthrie)
- Arlechin (Six Degrees Architects)
- Headricks Lane (Scott Petherick)
- Stomping Ground Bar & Brewery (Studio Y.)
- Y14 Japanese Seafood Kitchen & Bar
- The Dolphin Hotel (George Livissianis)
- The Buena (SJB + TRD)
- Sawmill Brewery + Smoko Room (Rachel O’Malley and Mike Petre)
- Caretaker (Britomart Hospitality Group)