The shortlist for the 2018 Eat Drink Design Awards has been revealed, with 90 projects recognised for innovation and design excellence within the hospitality industry.
The shortlisted projects include restaurants, bars, cafes, nightclubs, food stores and temporary hospitality spaces that have opened to the public in the last two years.
One of the most hotly contested categories is Best Bar Design, which recognises achievement in the design of a bar, cocktail lounge or nightclub. Pictured above is one of the shortlisted bars Above Board, but you can find the full list of shortlisted venues below.
“This year, there is a consensus among the jury that Australasian hospitality design is some of the best in the world, if not the best,” says Cassie Hansen, Eat Drink Design Awards jury chairperson and editor of Artichoke magazine.
“Other countries are certainly looking to what Australia is doing in hospitality design and this shortlist is evidence of how dynamic and progressive Australia and New Zealand designers are.
“Entrants from across the region ranged from sprawling, luxurious hotels, to tiny bars situated below offices. It doesn’t matter how much money is behind a project, or the scale – the Awards reward conceptual ambition and execution of good design.”
The winners will be announced at a themed event at Melbourne’s Luminare on Tuesday 13 November. All shortlisted projects can be viewed at the Eat Drink Design Awards website.
Best Bar Design shortlist
- Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay – Tom Mark Henry (Rushcutters Bay, NSW)
- Barangaroo House – Collins and Turner, H&E Architects, Etic (Barangaroo, NSW)
- Shoal Bay Country Club – Luchetti Krelle (Shoal Bay, NSW)
- East Village Hotel – Alexander & Co. (Darlinghurst, NSW)
- All Hands Brewing House – Maddison Architects (Sydney NSW)
- Imperial Hotel – Alexander & Co. (Erskineville, NSW)
- Palace Central Cinemas – DesignOffice (Chippendale, NSW)
- The Fernery Mosman – Pony Design Co. (Mosman, NSW)
- Chandon Australia – Foolscap Studio (Coldstream, VIC)
- Above Board – Chris James Studio (Collingwood, VIC)
- Bouzy Bar À Vin – Jason M Jones & Brahman Perera (Armadale, VIC)
- Kicks – ZWEI Interiors Architecture (Melbourne, VIC)
- Baroq House – Hachem (Melbourne, VIC)
- Biggie Smalls Windsor – Technē Architecture + Interior Design (Windsor, VIC)
- Pentolina – Biasol (Melbourne, VIC)
- Malt & Juniper – Sans-Arc Studio (Adelaide, SA)
- Anchovy Bandit – Sans-Arc Studio (Prospect, SA)