This whisky and IPA concoction is the work of Conor Teevan from Births & Deaths in Wollongong. It took out second place in the Illawarra cocktail competition, hosted by the bar in association with Capital Brewing Co.
Teevan said the flavours were carefully chosen to play off the sweet, earthy, vanilla notes of the IPA and produce a well balanced drink. The technique is important too, as he described: “By stirring down the drink, all the carbonation of the beer is removed, leaving a smooth and silky consistency.”
Image by Tom Opie, Births & Deaths Head Bartender.
Red Dead Rye-demption
- 150ml Capital Brewing Co. Evil Eye Red IPA
- 20ml Woodford Reserve Rye Whiskey
- 20ml Maidenii Sweet Vermouth
- 20ml Burnt peach syrup
- 15ml Licor 43
- 2 Drops plum bitters
- 3 Drops Magic Acid (concentrated blend of citric, malic and tartaric acid)
- Add all ingredients into a shaker and stir
- Pour into skull shaped jar over a large rock
- Garnish with a toasted, dehydrated peach slice