Two of the top brass from East London Liquor Company (ELLC) will arrive in Australia next month, and spend a week hosting a variety of trade and consumer events – culminating in a cocktail competition to decide the distillery’s new Australian brand ambassador.
ELLC founder Alex Wolpert and international brand ambassador Mikey Pendergast will both be making the trip, and while the primary reason for their visit is to choose their newest team member, they intend to make the most of out their short time in Australia.
Alex Wolpert is responsible for revitalising London’s old spirits district, opening ELLC in 2014 – the first distillery in the area in over 100 years. With their range of craft gin, vodka, rum, and even the first London-distilled whisky in more than 100 years, ELLC are carving out a lane all of their own.
And with a range of ticketed and free, trade and public events in Sydney and Melbourne, the duo’s itinerary is packed, with plenty of opportunity for those interested to learn more about the distillery – kicking off with a trade event at Gin Palace on the afternoon of Thursday 7 February.
Late on Thursday evening, a special ELLC public event will take place at Worksmith, with patrons hearing about the journey Wolpert took to be where he is today – including crowdfunding the £1.5 million required to open the distillery, to growing his team from 4 to 40, to what the future holds as they celebrate their 5th birthday in July.
The Melbourne leg of their tour peaks on Monday 11 February, when Union Electric will play host to the Dead Horse Cocktail Competition Finale, which serves as the ultimate decider of ELLC’s search for a new recruit.
Then, it’s off to Sydney for events at Barbershop, Dead Ringer and Eau de Vie, on Tuesday 12 and Wednesday 13 February.
But it’s not all partying and masterclasses: Wolpert will head to Healesville to meet with Four Pillars’ Cameron Mackenzie, to Port Melbourne to see David Vitale of Starward, and to Sydney to meet David Withers of Archie Rose – with the purpose of crafting a series of collaboration spirits.
ELLC’s full itinerary and list of events is below. To RSVP for any of the trade events, email email@example.com with your name and the number of attendees. Tickets to the public facing events are available via the respective venues.
ELLC’s full Australia itinerary
- Melbourne: Thursday 7 February – Gin Palace Masterclass – Trade event, RSVP required
- Melbourne: Thursday 7 February – Worksmith Special ELLC Event – Ticketed event for the public
- Melbourne: Saturday 9 February – Juniperlooza at Boatbuilders Yard – Ticketed event for the public (sold out)
- Melbourne: Sunday 10 February – Mr West Perfect Match Talk and Taste – Ticketed event for the public
- Melbourne: Sunday 10 February – Madame Brussels ‘Friends Shout Friends’ – Open to the public (free)
- Melbourne: Monday 11 February – Union Electric Dead Horse Cocktail Competition Finale and Brand Ambassador Announcement – Trade event, RSVP required
- Sydney: Tuesday 12 February – Barbershop Masterclass – Trade event, RSVP required
- Sydney: Tuesday 12 February – Dead Ringer Cocktail Degustation – Ticketed event for the public
- Sydney: Wednesday 13 February – Eau de Vie ‘Meet the Maker’ – Ticketed event for the public