How good would it be to be sipping on Sazeracs in New Orleans right now, catching up with old friends from across the globe and enjoying the wonderful Tales of the Cocktail (TOTC) vibe?
But like so much else this year TOTC has had to change and TOTC2020 is now a virtual event, taking place this week. There are still a lot of great events taking place, so make sure you register to see what is happening, just head to the Tales of the Cocktail website.
One thing still taking place is the widely-respected Spirited Awards, albeit in a digital format for the first time. The award categories celebrate a range of talent, from bartenders, brands and ambassadors to journalists and media and this year Australia had four bars and a brand ambassador named in the top four in different awards.
Monday saw the first winners announced, and unfortunately this year Australia missed out.
Caroline Rosen, Tales of the Cocktail Foundation President said: “Congratulations to this year’s Spirited Award winners.
“In a year that has caused us to all contemplate so much, there is no question that these individuals and establishments are worthy of celebration on a global stage. Their contributions are advancing this industry forward at a much needed time for change and we are honored to have the opportunity to recognise them.”
Overall Chair, Charlotte Voisey, added: “The winners announced today represent such talent and hard work in our industry. Today we celebrate their excellence as well as the opportunities to spread their knowledge further, through mentorship, to more communities within the bar world.”
Australia had hopes pinned on Maybe Sammy for Best International Bar Team and Best International Cocktail Bar, these awards were won by The Connaught Bar, London and Native, Singapore respectively.
The Baxter Inn was pipped to the title of Best International High Volume Cocktail Bar by Licoreria Limantour, Mexico City, while Byrdi missed out on Best New International Cocktail Bar, with the award going to Kwant in London.
Martin Hudák’s hopes of being named Best International Brand Ambassador were scuppered by Camille Austin of Casa Lumbre Spirits.
See here for the 2020 Spirited Awards Winners Announced on September 21:
- Best American Bar Team presented by William Grant & Sons — Café La Trova — Miami, FL
- Best American Brand Ambassador presented by Tales of the Cocktail Foundation — Robin Nance — Beam Suntory
- Best American Cocktail Bar presented by Pernod Ricard — Pacific Cocktail Haven — San Francisco, CA
- Best American High Volume Cocktail Bar presented by Diageo Bar Academy — ABV — San Francisco, CA
- Best American Hotel Bar presented by Diageo Bar Academy — The Spare Room at The Hollywood Roosevelt — Los Angeles, CA
- Best American Restaurant Bar presented by Woodford Reserve — The Silver Dollar — Louisville, KY
- Best New American Cocktail Bar presented by Elijah Craig — Silver Lyan — Washington, D.C.
- Best International Bar Team presented by House of Angostura — The Connaught Bar — London, UK
- Best International Brand Ambassador presented by Tales of the Cocktail Foundation — Camille Austin — Casa Lumbre Spirits
- Best International Cocktail Bar presented by Tequila Fortaleza — Native — Singapore
- Best International High Volume Cocktail Bar presented by Beam Suntory — Licorería Limantour — Mexico City, Mexico
- Best International Hotel Bar presented by Tales of the Cocktail Foundation — Scarfes Bar at the Rosewood Hotel — London, UK
- Best International Restaurant Bar presented by Tales of the Cocktail Foundation — Sober Company — Shanghai, China
- Best New International Cocktail Bar presented by Perrier — Kwānt — London, UK
WRITING & MEDIA CATEGORIES
- Best Cocktail & Spirits Publication presented by Tales of the Cocktail Foundation — Half Full
- Best Cocktail & Spirits Writing presented by Tales of the Cocktail Foundation — “JaNee: Where is She Now” by Aaron Goldfarb for PUNCH
- Best New Cocktail or Bartending Book presented by Tales of the Cocktail Foundation — The Martini Cocktail: A Meditation on the World’s Greatest Drink, with Recipes by Robert Simonson
- Best New Book on Drinks Culture, History or Spirits presented by Tales of the Cocktail Foundation — Last Call: Bartenders on Their Final Drink and the Wisdom and Rituals of Closing Time by Brad Thomas Parsons
- Best Broadcast, Podcast or Online Video Series presented by Tales of the Cocktail Foundation — WhiskyCast
- Best New Spirit or Cocktail Ingredient presented by Tales of the Cocktail Foundation — Tequila Fortaleza Winter Blend 2019
- World’s Best Cocktail Menu presented by Perrier — ATLAS Bar — Singapore
- World’s Best Spirits Selection presented by Beam Suntory — Amor Y Amargo – New York, NY