New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian has announced a slight lifting of some COVID-19 restrictions in the state, as zero new local cases are recorded in the last 24 hours.
The changes see the number of people allowed per booking in hospitality venues increase from 10 to 30, and the number of people allowed per table also increases to 30 from Friday, 23 October.
Also corporate functions of up to 300 people can now be held at any appropriate premises subject to a COVID-Safe plan – previously only functions centres could host these.
The Premier said the NSW Government remains focused on managing COVID-19 and opening up the economy in a COVID-Safe way.
“These changes will provide a big boost to our hospitality venues,” she said.
“As we ease restrictions and find new ways to get businesses moving it is vital that customers and venues continue to be COVID-Safe.”
Treasurer Dominic Perrottet added this was another important step in driving the state’s economic recovery while returning to life in a COVID-Safe way.
“We continue to remain focused on stimulating the economy, keeping businesses in business and people in jobs,” he said.
“The easing of restrictions and safely increasing capacities will lead directly to more jobs and more opportunities for businesses across NSW, which is integral for the State’s recovery.”
NSW Health Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said people still need to continue to follow the personal hygiene recommendations, maintain physical distancing and wear masks in indoor settings where you cannot physically distance.
“As we ease restrictions, we all need to maintain COVID-safe behaviours and practices,” Dr Chant said.
Businesses wishing to take advantage of the relaxed restrictions must use electronic methods, like QR codes, to record and keep contact details.
The increased booking capacity comes a week after the NSW Government eased other restrictions including allowing one person per two square metres in outdoor spaces.